Thursday, January 19, 2006

Things about Sydney




Well Kristen and I spent today checking out a bunch of the famous sites in Sydney. We walked for hours (well really I think it was seven). We have discovered a few interesting things that I thought Id share. This list will grow as we get the courage to ask people what other things are that we don't know yet!
- all of the tax is included in the sticker price. no need for math! such a great idea.
-a lot of places you go to eat are BYO, as in bring your own(!). People bring wine or beer or whatever to the restaurant with them instead of having to pay for theirs. Im serious!
-apparently there is a fantastic place called 'the rocks'. We spent hours after hours wandering around looking for such place. Finally while in the correct area Kristen read a small sign on the side of a building saying that the whole place is under reconstruction and therefore closed and very lame.
-on every single corner and two doors down from that is a Chemist. Not like my brother though, its the drug store or pharmacy. Why they need so many- we don't know.
-we took the bus today and the driver called us back to see him because we didn't take our receipt (ticket) with us. He said it was very important but for what use, were not sure.
-there appears to be no supermarkets in Sydney. Just tiny independent shops. Which is great-except that everything appears to be way over priced inside of them.
-it rained intermittently today, pouring and then stopping. We both had sunburns when we arrived home.
-their $2 coin is about the size of our dimes and the $.20 about the size of our twoonie-very confusing!
-their seagulls are smaller and are actually quite cute. There is also another bird that hangs out with them that has a beak almost a foot long and its curved and razor sharp.
-it smells pretty great here.
That's it for today. Tomorrow calls for sunny skies so were thinking of hitting the beach!

2 Comments:

At 5:38 p.m. , Blogger Gillian said...

Mmmm, beach. Hit Cronulla, you can take the train there. Oooh, or take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach. Thats a sweet ride! And Manly is 100x better than Bondi.
And about supermarkets, I know there is a Woolworths downtown Sydney somewhere, cause I've been there. I think it might be near a train station. Woolworths is about as big as you can get in Oz for groceries.
Do you actually read this? Or should I just shut up. Maybe I should shut up anyway. I think I'm living vicariously through you over there.
Missing you, practice tonight for Sunday... I even started picking songs with nice chords and then I realised that you weren't there...

 
At 2:52 p.m. , Blogger Megan said...

Gill! Of course I read these!! Theyre my favorite part of this blog business. Plus, your suggestions have been most helpful. Although in this case- we went to Manly even without reading your suggestion- and man were you ever right! It was fantastic! Keep the comments coming!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home