Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Working nine to five....

Well... not really. But I love that song. So catchy!
But the good news is that I do in fact have a real job. On Monday Kristen and I resolved to hit the streets again with our resumes. I went down to the shopping area about two minutes walk from Craig and Lauren's house and talked to a few of the managers. A few hours later the manager from the Pacific Pines Tavern phoned me and asked me if I wanted to come into work at 4pm! Really its quite perfect. The place has a few different sections to it and I will kind of rotate between working in any of them. There is a restaurant/pub which I started at on Monday and then the bar/club. The whole place is really relaxed with a very friendly neighbourly atmosphere. And everyone that Ive met has been incredibly nice and super helpful. I always hate starting work at a new place and feeling so useless and dumb. But... they were all encouraging and truly the work isnt hard by any means.
Waitressing here is very different. Most pubs are set up the same-- people have to come up to the counter to order their food and you punch it into the computer and hand them a number. They have to go up to the bar to order their own drinks as well. Then when food is ready from the kitchen you just read what number its for and go find them. Then later you go and pick up their plates, if their still sitting there or you can wait until theyve gone. Thats it!! No "would you like another drink?", "how is your meal", "can I get you anything else"... none of that! I quite enjoy it. Tomorrow morning they are having me attend the RSA course- "Responsible Service of Alcohol" which usually costs a few hundered but tomorrow through them it will be free. Which is great because I would need it for any jobs I plan to get in Queensland.
Also on Tuesday Kristen and I finally got an interview with a hospitality job agency. Pretty much they find casual work for you. You can let them know your schedule each week and then take which ever shifts you care to. Perfect for us. We can work elsewhere but pick up shifts on the side if we want more hours. Most of it is serving at banquets and functions. Today we had to go and get bow ties for our uniform!! Should be great.
So.. we're still living at Craig and Lauren's. Until we start getting paychecks rolling in. Then we plan to find some place close by. Neither of us want to stay here the entire duration of our time in the country but for now it seems to be the best option. Especially since we're both broke. Beggers can't be choosers! And since we're not right in Surfers Paradise like before and not working at sleazy jobs, were both much happier and enjoying where we are.

7 Comments:

At 5:53 p.m. , Blogger The Renegade Librarian said...

Word up, dawg! Things are good here. Glad to hear that all is well with you and that you were able to score a sweet job. I look forward to hearing about more of your exploits. Love ya, take care...

 
At 10:56 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:49 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:22 p.m. , Blogger Megan said...

sorry guys... I had to erase the last two comments on the behalf of Davy. He made a little blunder with hiw English grammer and was super embarrassed. I loved it! But.. for him I had to take it off. Just thought that I should clarify why there were deleted comments. Dont let it discourage you! I LOVE getting comments on here.

 
At 6:25 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey goon, what's good?
what's the name of that sushi place you like in vancouver?

 
At 4:05 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg.

Time to update your blog. What's new? Are you working so hard you can't talk to us?

Enderbeing

 
At 8:10 p.m. , Blogger Gillian said...

yo! still alive or did the drop bears get ya? ;)
Hope your having a good time and work is treating you well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home