Cabbage
Right now I am reading a book called "An Apple a Day, The Myths, Misconceptions and Truths About the Food We Eat" by Joe Schwarcz. It is really interesting! Admittedly, a lot of it is chemical jargon that flies right over my head. But I took my first year biology, chemistry and biochemistry, so I catch... the jist of it!Yesterday I read the chapter on cabbage. It is quite the wonder vegetable. It just has a really bad rep.
Basically scientists noted that substances that caused cancer triggered the release of protective enzymes (and asked things like why dont ALL smokers develop lung cancer? do the lucky ones produce more protective enzymes?). The clue came when researchers noted that once a rat was exposed to a carcinogen, they were more resistant to the effects of a second. Obviously this isnt a method we can use to protect ourselves. So scientists looked for substances that had a chemical similarity to cancer-causing agents but were themselves not dangerous. Voila! Cabbage. And to a lesser extent other cruciferous vegetables (like broccolli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Cabbage is especially effective in reducing the harmful molecules that cause breast cancer (its more complicated to explain!). It is also very high in Vitamin K, which strengthens bones. And there is a significantly lower risk of colon cancer among people who eat it regularly.
And.. I realized that I have NEVER before cooked cabbage! Apparently the trick is to NOT boil it in water. That's how you release the smelly sulpher compounds. So I stirfried some up for dinner last night! It was de-lish!


6 Comments:
Cabbage=delish??
how can that be?
Can you post the recipe?
Good stuff!!
Mom
HEY, you have to some visit me,we would get along well, sounds like we're interested in the same health stuff.
Vit K is also something that you are NOT born with and is maditory for your blood, so it's good to eat things with it in.
Some other great books are:
Super Foods Rx
BY Stephen G Pratt
Nourishing Traditions
By, Sally Fallon
To name a few. I am always reading this kind of stuff. I like the study of Natropahthy, Biology, and envoromentalism.
P.S yes, Post the recipe please, it looks yummy, (minus the shrimp for me though.)
the trouble is...
there isnt a recipe.
I just sauteed some onions in a bit of oil with garlic, then I threw in the chopped cabbage and some green peppers. I spiced it up with some red pepper flakes and some other spices on hand. then I threw in the shrimp. I served it on top of some rice vermicelli noodles.
It tasted great. I promise. But cooking is an experiment! so try it however you want!
Can this be the girl who didn't used to like her food groups to touch each other on the plate?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home