Tuesday, April 11, 2006

quick turnaround






We flew back from the Whitsundays last night. Today we will spend unpacking, doing all of our laundry, and packing again. We leave tomorrow bright and early for Byron Bay. We've got tickets for the five day roots and blues music festival! Really looking forward to it!!

Our camping adventure was.. quite the adventure! The weather was hit and miss but I still managed to get a tan;) Mostly the days were sunny and the nights poured rain. It was tedious to say the least because after not finding a tent to borrow we finally bought one from "the Warehouse": A two man tent including a sleeping bag and a mat for $29.99! Great except for my head was against one end and my feet smunched against the other. The ventilation was also lacking. Meaning... our tent became a sauna every night because we couldn't have open windows or the rain would soak us.

We had the islands mostly to ourselves. At each island we met a different couple and all of them were really nice company. We were never short of company from the resident wildlife though! We saw a lizard that was about 4 feet long, a bird eating spider (the size of my hand- although I didn't put my hand beside it to measure...), a yellow bellied black snake (very poisonous!) and billions and billions of mossies which feasted on me every night.

We spent our week soaking up the sun, reading books (I polished off six in the 8 days!) and snorkeling! We're pretty much snorkeling addicts now. Kristen and I are both deathly afraid of the water (actually we learned this week that we're basically afraid of everything) but its so much less scary when you can see everything! We saw gorgeous coral and vibrantly coloured fish, giant clams and huge anenomies. We had to wear wetsuits because waters farther north are plagued with deadly jellyfish, although thankfully we didn't see any while we were out and about, we just had to look a little silly in our oversized suits- not that there was anyone out there to see us but the fish anyways!

I can't figure out how to add captions directly to photos yet. Those above are just a few from the hundreds we took of the trip. The beach, the sunset, cooking in the rain, the snorkeling get up and the air plane ride home. Maybe I'll post separately the pics of the animals soon.
The trip was fantastic and mostly because Kristen and I spent the week together. What better company could one ask for for a week on gorgeous islands?

2 Comments:

At 12:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megs,

It was great to talk to you and your trip looks amazing! I found out when I was in Mex. that I love snorkeling too! Whoahhhhh. Anyhoo, have fun in Byron Bay.

 
At 10:10 a.m. , Blogger Gillian said...

pics of the whitsudnays look fantabulous! so jealous of a music fest in byron! happy hippy-ing it up! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home