Tuesday, February 26, 2008

what's for dinner

Frank and I both grew up in homes with mothers who were great at cooking a full balanced meal (yay our moms!). That meant a serving of vegetables, a serving of carbohydrates, and of course, a protein. And although I try to follow this basic guideline, I do not often create dinners that fill the plate into these three distinct groups. This has alot to do with the fact that I don't cook meat, except for fish once or twice a week. I also tend to be vegetable crazy. Thankfully, most vegetables are actually high in carbohydrates as well as proteins. I also tend to cook dishes from other cultures and ethnic origin, which don't usually follow the three-section rule. But every once and a while, I revert back to the traditional North American dinner.

I have been on a mission lately to use everything that is in my freezer. Why do I let things build up in there? It is too small for long term residency. So on Sunday I decided to cook up the lamb chops given to us by Frank's parents that have been in there.

I wonder how many of my readers (which is a humble few, I know) know the reason of my decision to not eat meat? Wow, that is a post topic of its own! But, the major reasons include my disgust of the industry, its practices and methods. I also think that it takes far too much energy, room, and resources to support a nation's lifestyle where meat is eaten at almost every meal. AND I agree that the statistics show that it is much healthier to lower your meat consumption. My reason's for not eating meat do NOT include that I don't like it (with the exception of anything that comes from a pig! eeww bacon! ham! haha!). Nor does it include that I think it is cruel to kill animals and eat them. I am all in favour of small farms and local butchers! I am also not really opposed to hunting, as long as they are eating what they shoot. It's all about knowing the source. Ok, enough of a rant!

So Sunday I roasted some small local organic red potatoes (a gal at Frank's work runs a small business on the side bringing in local organic produce in large quantities and selling them at reasonable prices- I get lots from her!), I steamed up some broccoli and green beans, and I cooked lamb! Meat! Trust me, it is a big deal in our house. A very rare occasion. And it was AWESOME!





On another note, Frank and I went to the Times Colonist Book Fair last weekend and picked up a LARGE box filled with great books. I am excited to get back in the garden now that the weather has warmed up and now I have a couple books with some great tips to help me along. And my newest quest that I have decided to take on, is baking my own bread. I am going to the Green Living Show this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to do some first trials sometime next week!

4 Comments:

At 10:01 p.m. , Blogger Annie said...

OH my GOODNESS MY MOUTH IS WATERING!!! I LOVE lamb! My husband sadly does not...
Mmmm... Grampa's lambs are the best.

Keep up the great cooking! :D

 
At 5:23 p.m. , Blogger A Place of springs said...

Aren't those potatoes GREAT! Mom got some of those and wow! So sweet!

Looks yum!

It was Great seeing you guys the other day.

 
At 7:11 p.m. , Blogger Michael Eckert said...

Hey!
Good on Ya!
Gotta miss those Lamb chops...I never used to like them,but for some reason I do now.
Maybe it was actually mutton before or somehting.

Frank must have loved that you sure seem like a great cook!

 
At 7:13 p.m. , Blogger Michael Eckert said...

P.S lol, why is there a Ken barbie on your stove...?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home