Tuesday, May 02, 2006

cairns

we made it. were finally off the Gold Coast for good. welcome to the next stop: cairns!

Kristen and I got up early yesterday and finished packing our horrendous amounts of luggage. What were we thinking? Please remind me the next time I travel that I never need as much luggage as I originally think. Not even half as much. It only makes traveling more stressful.
But we did manage. We caught the train to Brisbane and then caught our two hour flight North.

Cairns is nothing like we expected. From the moment that we got off the plane we were surprised. The airport- which is an international airport- is less sophisticated than the Kelowna airport and you have to deplane directly onto the tarmac and walk a few kms to get into the actual airport. Which doesn't really have much to call an airport anyways.

The city is 7kms away. We caught a lift with the nice gentleman who sat next to Kristen on the flight. Saved us the taxi fair! The drive made us a little homesick because we could finally see mountains and forests!

I had pictured Cairns- known for being one of the major destinations in Australia- to be a smaller scale of Sydney or Brisbane just with its own flavor. I immediately was corrected! There isn't a skyrise to be seen. No chain outfits. None of the glamour or flash. To be honest, its quite a dingy looking city. Reminds me slightly of Vernon! haha. But I love it! Kristen and I had already decided we loved it before we arrived and so far nothing we've seen has changed that.

Every street is lined with cafes and restaurants. There are heaps of dive tours to the reef, skydiving, rainforest tours, kayaking, white water rafting, you name it- you could probably to it here. There's also an extraordinary amount of tourist-y gift shops of course, copious amounts of hostels and backpackers, but they seem to blend into the local scene here.

We already have an interview at the casino tomorrow. We decided that because it was our favorite place to work on the Gold Coast, we would try it here first. Today we are going to go get library cards and then go scope out some places for rent.

The weather could be better but you wont hear me complaining. Im entirely ecstatic to be here.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg; saw this important news flash and thought of you. I'm guessing this sort of thing goes on all the time down there. And at least Cairns has got to be less dingy than Enderby.

Love ya!
Michael
xoxoxo

Spider Hunting Adventure Leads to Bad End

SYDNEY - An Australian nudist who tried to set fire to what he thought was a deadly funnel web spider's nest ended up with badly burned buttocks, emergency officials said Monday.

The 56-year-old man was at a nudist colony near Bowral, about 60 miles southwest of Sydney, when he spotted what he believed to be a funnel web spider hole.

Ambulance workers, including a helicopter crew, were called to the scene after the man poured petrol down the hole and then lit a match in an attempt to kill the offending arachnid.

"The exploding gasoline fumes left the man with burns to 18 percent of his body, on the upper leg and buttocks," the NRMA Careflight helicopter rescue service said in a statement.

It said the man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his burns.

"The fate of the bunkered spider was unknown, although other guests at the resort thought it was probably a harmless trapdoor spider and not a deadly funnel web," the statement said.

NRMA Careflight said it was called to a property in the same area in January when another man kicked a spider that was crawling up the wall of a friend's cabin. The man broke his leg in two places, it said.

 
At 8:54 p.m. , Blogger Megan said...

hmmm yes... I often have been tempted myself to pour gasoline and light fire to the creatures here. I haven't yet actually, thank goodness, as it doesnt turn out to be such a great idea.

Actually... most Aussies seem fearless of their creatures. Obviously these men were typical Australian men as well, but were also most likely typically piss drunk!

I apprecite the heads up though. Definately the best comment up here yet. I laughed out loud and Im sitting in the library!

Glad it made you think of me;)
Love you too~ xoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home