new residence on scott st.
What luck! I tell ya.. this place just keeps getting better and better.Yesterday we phoned a place for rent that was posted on the bulletin board downtown. An hour later we went to check out the place and immediately we knew it was our new home! We are sharing a huge room thats in a main floor suite with an English couple. Its about a 2 minute walk from the heart of Cairns and close to everything. Its completely furnished and best of all.... there's a giant pool in the backyard!! The rent is relatively cheap and they only need a week's notice if we decide to move out. Tell me that wasn't meant to be! We had already paid for our hostel until tonight so we wont move in until tomorrow. The landlord who is super nice even offered to pick us up from our hostel so we don't have to carry our luggage over!
Yesterday we had a sponateous fun evening. Just as Kristen and I were heading out of our hostel for dinner, we passed by the reception desk where there were two Japanese girls trying to book a tour with the hostel guy. They didn't really speak English and he was not so good at charades. I stopped and asked if I could help at all, though my Japanese is pretty terrible by now, but they were happy to receive it and eventually we got everything figured out. They were staying at a nicer hotel nearby but I asked them if they wanted to join us for dinner with the rest of the backpackers at the hole that is referred to as "the Woolshed". They happily came along! It felt great to use my severely deteriorated Japanese!
After dinner we headed to the local blues joint known as "Johno's". Kristen and I had heard that they had Toad Races on Wednesday nights and we just had to check it out. Junko and Asuka came as well... though I'm certain that they had no idea what we were trying to tell them it was! The live music was awesome and so were the toads. It was a real audience participatory occasion. I made Kristen go and pick out our toad and we affectionately named him "Uncle Fungus". I got selected to be in the fashion show a la "the Melbourne Races meets your old costume box". Sadly I didn't win and neither did Uncle Fungus but Cherry Blossom, Junko and Asuka's toad came second in the finals and they won a tour around Cairns. They gave to Kristen and I since they are leaving tomorrow. What a night! It was quite crazy and I'm sure that my description doesn't nearly do it justice.
Hopefully our interview this afternoon goes as well as our house hunting did.
I can't seem to get pictures on any computer here because I'm forced to use public ones. I'll keep looking but it may have to be bland posts for a little while yet.


1 Comments:
Hooray for new adventures!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home